Find out more about how to apply to take part in Being Human Festival 2023. You can also download the text on this page as a printer-friendly PDF.
Being Human Festival returns 9–18 November 2023, with the theme Rhyme or Reason.
Each year we invite humanities researchers and other staff from universities and research organisations to apply to take part in the festival by organising a public engagement event, activity or project.
Interested in taking part? Firstly, please read the Application Guidelines document available below for important information about the festival and for further details about the different festival pathways.
Once you have decided what pathway to apply for, further down this page you can find 'Further Information' documents for each pathway, and instructions about how to submit your application online. Please note: the deadline to apply for Hub Award and Small Awards has now passed. You can still apply to take part in the festival via the Open Call and Being Human Cafe pathways.
Please note we are no longer accepting paper applications submitted via email. Applications will only be accepted via our online system Survey Monkey Apply.
Before putting together your application, please ensure you refer to the relevant further information document, our case studies, our planning toolkits and our FAQs.
If you have any questions about applying to the festival that are not answered in our FAQs, please feel free to contact us via email at email@example.com.
Applying to Being Human 2023
You can find out more about applying to the festival by watching the recording of our ‘Applying to Being Human 2023’ webinar that took place on Wednesday 29 March.
New online application process
We are no longer accepting paper applications submitted via email. All applications must now be submitted via our online system Survey Monkey Apply. Please follow the step-by-step instructions below on how to set up your account and submit an application. Application form templates have been provided to assist with preparing answers for submitting online.
We are no longer accepting paper applications submitted via email. Applications will only be accepted via our online system Survey Monkey Apply. Please follow these step-by-step instructions on how to set up your account and submit an application.
Register for an account
- Visit this page and click the green ‘Register’ button in the top right hand corner.
- Register for an applicant account by completing the form. A confirmation link will be sent to your email. You won’t be able to submit applications or complete certain tasks until your email address has been verified.
Start your application
- Once you have verified your email address, log in on this page and click ‘View programs’. You can then select ‘More’ under Being Human Festival, or follow this link.
- Click the green ‘Apply’ button to start your application.
- You will be required to name your application. Please include your last name, organisation name and the pathway you are apply for, e.g. ‘Last name, University of London – Hub Award’.
- If you wish to collaborate with a colleague on an application you will now be able to add them as a collaborator, and they will be invited to set up an applicant account via email.
- Click ‘Pathway Selection’, select the award you are applying for and then click the ‘Mark as complete’ button.
- Click 'Complete Task' to confirm your pathway selection.
- An application form link will appear on the left-hand side. Click the link. This will take you to the application form.
- Once you have completed the application form click the ‘Mark as complete’ button.
- When you are ready to submit your application click the ‘Submit’ button. Please note, once you have submitted your application you will not be able to edit it. Please note you can save and return to your application as you need. You will need to ensure answers are entered for all required fields on the page you are on before moving to the next page or saving your progress. You may wish to use the templates provided to prepare your answers before entering them online.
- You should receive a confirmation email once you have submitted your application.
If you have any accessibility questions relating to online forms, or if you have any questions about the application process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our Hub Awards offer large institutional grants of £3,000 – £8,000 to coordinate multiple activities as a festival Hub. The deadline for Hub Award applications has now passed. The deadline to submit Hub Award applications was Friday 28 April 2023.
Our Small Awards offer grants of up to £3,000 to enable public engagement activities as part of the festival. The deadline for Small Award applications has now passed. The deadline to submit Small Award applications was Friday 28 April 2023.
Through our Open Call you can organise an activity that does not require funding from us. Submit your Open Call application online by 5pm, Friday 23 June 2023.
- Open Call Further Information (PDF)
- Open Call application form template – to assist with preparing submission (.doc)
- Activities grid (.doc)
- Apply online for the Open Call
Being Human Cafés
A Being Human Café is a simple, off-the-shelf activity that does not require funding from us. Submit your Being Human Café application online by 5pm, Friday 25 August 2023.
- Being Human Café toolkit (PDF)
- Being Human Café Further Information (PDF)
- Being Human Café application form template – to assist with preparing submission (.doc)
- Activities grid (.doc)
- Apply online for a Being Human Café